Anyone who needs to pay their federal tax bill has several ways to send a payment to IRS quickly and securely. Knowing the options to make payments helps taxpayers meet their tax obligations.
Here are several ways people who owe taxes can pay it. They can:
- Pay when they e-file using electronic funds withdrawal to draw the payment directly from their bank account.
- Sign into their Online Account to pay their 2022 balance or make estimated tax payments. Taxpayers can also see their payment history, any scheduled or pending payments, and other account details.
- Use IRS Direct Pay to pay electronically directly from their checking or savings account. They can choose to receive email notifications about their payments when they pay this way.
- Pay using a payment processor by credit card, debit card or digital wallet. Taxpayers can make these payments online for a fee.
- Make a cash payment at more than 60,000 participating retail locations nationwide. To pay with cash, taxpayers should visit IRS.gov and follow the instructions.
- Pay over time by applying for an online payment agreement. Once the IRS accepts an agreement, taxpayers can make their payment in monthly installments.
For details on these options, people can visit irs.gov/payments.
Some taxpayers must make quarterly estimated tax payments throughout the year. This includes individuals, sole proprietors, partners, and S corporation shareholders who expect to owe $1,000 or more when they file. Individuals who participate in the gig economy might also have to make estimated payments.
The IRS offers easy and convenient options to make federal tax payments